Friday, July 5, 2013

Toxic Chemicals Found in Nail Polish

Nail polish addicts like us, wanted our nails to look fabulous everyday, we love to change our nail polish every now and then. But as much as we wanted to do these over and over again we also have to think twice and need to read the label carefully. Because we'll never know that the nail polish brand that we love so much may contain harmful chemicals.

photo not mine

Research shows that these are the top three chemicals found in some nail treatment products are toxic and are definitely harmful.

Phthalates alias dibutyl phthalate (DBP), diethylhexyl phthalate (DEHP) are plasticizers that make the nail polish chip-resistant and fragrances to last longer. It may cause reproductive toxicity, nervous system toxicity, developmental delays, endocrine (hormone) disruption, neurotoxicity and lung problems in human.

Toluene also known as methylbenzene is an industrial solvent that are used in manufacturing paints, gasoline or shoe polish. It dissolves chemical substances that makes the application of nail polish smooth and stick to the nails. According to studies, toluene has central nervous system effects which includes seizures, coma, cerebral and cerebellar degeneration, decreased cognition, blindness, and many others. It also affects other body systems, including your heart and lungs with symptoms ranging from acute (asphyxiation) to chronic (acute lung injury.).

Formaldehyde is colorless gas that are found in nail-strengthening and cuticle treatments. It is actually a preservative, disinfectant and hardener in cosmetic products.  Formaldehyde can cause contact dermatitis, blistering, and chemical burns. Low exposure may lead to eye, skin and respiratory tract irritation while high exposure can cause irregular heartbeat, pulmonary swelling, and even death. 

Nail polish lovers out there let's be vigilant. We don't want this chemicals to affects us right? Let us choose products that are free from these toxins.
source: http://www.totalbeauty.com, http://kimberlysnyder.net

21 comments:

  1. This is a very informative. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very informative. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok..no more nail polish for me..nail cleaning only! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It good thing to know all this stuff,thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so these are the toxic elements...great to know this

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely have nail polish. And more so because I see my nails turning yellow or have white spots when it's time to remove the polish. That's an indication that there are strong ingredients there that could damage tough nails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! Pano na yung nagne-nail polish na mga bata? No no pala! What do you recommend ba na safe brands?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. And to add to Aileen's comment, another indication is the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've recently read about this and am going to change all my nail polishes.. have looked around for 5 free ones and there are a couple.. if you are interested can try out this one. http://www.pritinyc.com/ they are non toxic and even have a kids range.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Aileen, too. I used to have nail polish but not that often as other would do. I am lazy to have it done because it easily fades on my nails. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for letting us know! Any reports on which brand is safe and which one to avoid?

    ReplyDelete
  12. not really a fan of nail polish but this article is really helpful. i do agree with lady that it would be beneficial to know which brands are classified as harmful and which brands are not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree. We must be vigilant about the ingredients used in whatever we apply on our bodies - nail polishes included. Aside from making sure that my nail polishes are free from toxic chemicals, I also do make sure to go polish-free every so often to allow my nails to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Which brands do you recommend sis? I have my nails rest for 2 weeks now from polish. My nails have turned yellow that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahh thanks! Very informative! I don't get my nails done often because of the same reasons like you said, only that I didn't know what are these harmful chemicals found in the polish. Now, I'm good. Thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. eversince i became pregnant and now that i bfeed, i rested painting my nails, pag may ocassion nalang. para iwas risk. kaht ung ibang claiming toxic free meron pa rin daw e..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really don't know if toluene or a type of ketone is the one responsible for the smell of the nail polish. Will check for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! so many chemical ingredients. I hope I remember this when I check the labels.

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for the info now i need to check the nail polish that i will be using in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chemicals are really scary. I bought a sparkly Bobbie nail polish which my little girl wanted to try. I let her but when her nails with the nail polish on touched her screen, it became red and itchy instantly. I washed it off right away.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Learned so much. I have to more cautious next time. This is good information. thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Love what you see here.. Leave me some comments and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Have a Nice Day!